Able Works – East Palo Alto, CA 94303
Job type: Full time, non-exepmt
Able Works is a faith-based, charitable 501(c)(3) non-profit organization based in East Palo Alto, CA serving Northern California. Our vision is to live in a society where every individual has the ability to fulfill their greatest human potential. Our mission is to equip individuals with financial education, life skills and assets that enable them to live free from oppression and poverty.
LiveAble seeks to bring economic self-sufficiency to individuals and their families by helping them move from surviving to thriving through peer support, education, targeted resourcing and mentoring. The program provides a ten-month cohort experience for peers to move forward together in a healthy, positive and encouraging environment. Program participants benefit from coaching, credit counseling, goal setting, educational and career planning, jobs and other needed resources – all with respect and sensitivity to their culture. We partner with program participants so that over time they acquire skills, resources and sustained behavior changes to ensure long-term economic independence.
- Recruit program participants through marketing/outreach plan
- Lead and/or facilitate weekly cohort meetings
- Intentionally develop community among program participants
- Customize LiveAble program to meet unique needs of each cohort
- Coordinate all aspects of weekly meetings including facilities, childcare, dinners, guest speakers, volunteers, etc.
- Communicate with cohort members on a regular basis
- Identify potential leaders for future cohorts
- Plan outings and retreats
- Schedule and meet regularly with each client for coaching, using a compassionate, non-judgmental approach that balances emotional support and holding clients accountable to their goals for self-sufficiency.
- Provide resources and referrals as needed to help program participants accomplish goals.
- Assist participants in setting and accomplishing personal, financial, career and educational goals
- Perform client intake appointments
- Assess client needs and establish family action plan with timeline for achieving specific goals and tasks
- Record progress notes in counseling database system and other documentation of services provided in a timely manner
- Connect clients with community resources to meet urgent needs, address barriers and strengthen participant coping skills and ability to continue their progress
- Monitor clients’ progress
- Advocate for program participants
- Motivate participants to accomplish goals
- Track program outcomes in counseling database and assist program manager in compiling data for impact assessment and reporting
- Maintain files in good order
- Ensure privacy of confidential data at all times
- Provide outcome data and stories as needed for Communications and Development
- Ability and desire to encourage personal growth in others
- Knowledge of community resources in San Mateo County
- Experience supporting families who have experienced trauma and require crisis intervention (ex: homelessness, domestic violence)
- A plus if you are a resident of East Palo Alto, Belle Haven or North Fair Oaks, or have experience working in these communities
- Bilingual in Spanish/English is a must
- Must be able to drive you own car to perform duties during the workday
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively with other community agencies
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in public speaking a plus
- Basic understanding of banking and money management
- Confidence in providing financial coaching including credit counseling, budgeting, savings, and debt reduction
- Confident and outgoing with an ability to inspire and communicate with program participants
- Ability to represent LiveAble to community partners
- Confident in interfacing with volunteers and guest speakers
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality about families being served
- Reliability and punctuality in attending appointments and meetings a must
- Attention to detail and excellent follow through
- Ability to research and connect with community resources
- Willingness to model continued growth in achieving goals of program
- Fingerprint clearances
- Familiar with Mac OS, Microsoft Office and Google Suites
- Organizational and administrative capabilities
To apply, send a resume and cover letter explaining the specific reasons you believe you are qualified for this position to email@example.com or apply on Indeed.com. No hard copies or phone calls. Do not email generic cover letters.